I am usually all about taking indulgent recipes and making them healthier, but as I sit here planning our meal for this evening I am open to diverging...With the rain harmonically falling in a gentle but steady beat, puddles gathering all around and the brisk chill of this Sunday morning, I can’t help but crave a warm hearty dish to indulge in. I have made this recipe before, but it has been a few years. And this time I am excited to try it with our TEMPT premium red blend.
One of the benefits of having great wine on hand is that you are always prepared for a spontaneous recipe, group of friends popping by or just a simple evening in. In creating our blends, we wanted to give you a wine you didn’t feel guilty about opening - a wine that maintained the quality you expect and enjoy. I always love a glass of vino while cooking and I felt so wasteful opening a bottle to drink, in addition to a bottle to cook with. What I love about our wine is that it was made to sip + stir!
Whenever I can, I opt for locally grown ingredients. I have been so spoiled here in Napa as I am one mile from town where there is a local market and butcher. I can find anything from edible flowers to sushi grade tuna and local honey.
I tend to shop a few times a week so my ingredients are fresh and I have the flexibility to cook what I am feeling versus having a set menu. I usually get inspiration from a few recipes I find on Pinterest, then make it my own by adding a special twist. The thing I love about cooking is that you don’t have to follow the recipe to a “T.” For example, my butcher didn’t have chicken so I made this recipe with duck and it was fabulous! Feel free to also substitute the potatoes for polenta or quinoa, or skip it entirely! This is a filling and satisfying dish!
A TEMPT-ing Twist on Coq Au Vin
INGREDIENTS:1/2 container pancetta (cubed)
2 chicken leg+thigh pieces
1 can chicken bone broth
5 tbsp tomato paste
1 can TEMPT
1 small bag red potatoes
1 bundle of scallions - (chop green part)
1 medium yellow onion - chopped
1 bundle of rainbow carrots (cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 carton brown clamshell mushrooms
4 garlic cloves
3-4 bay leaves
1 bundle of fresh thyme
5 fresh sage leaves
1 bundle of parsley
2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
salt + pepper (to taste)
- Wash and cut all vegetables
- Place potatoes in a pot of water, bring to boil then simmer 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Loosen skin on chicken and stuff a fresh sage leaf, thyme, and some salt + pepper to taste between skin and meat. Add salt + pepper and fresh thyme to the outer skin.
- Add a little butter to a large frying pan. Once melted add pancetta. Saute until slightly browned.
- Add garlic, onions, and carrots to pan. Stir often until caramelized (about 5 minutes)
- Move all vegetables to sides of the pan. Add a little more butter followed both pieces of chicken. Pan fry for about 8 minutes on each side.
- Drain potatoes. Add 1 tbsp of butter, fresh thyme, scallions and salt + pepper to taste. Set aside
- Stir in tomato paste, TEMPT red wine and broth.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, salt + pepper. Stir and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 min (or until sauce reduces by ⅓ and begins to thicken)
- Plate in a shallow bowl or dish of choice. Add a scoop or two of potatoes on one side and then a piece of chicken with a few scoops of the delish sauce on the other, letting the two mix + mingle. Top with fresh parsley and voila!
- Enjoy with a glass of TEMPT red wine to top off your evening.